2021 Stonestreet Lexington (G3) King Fury is among those in the sale (Coady Photography)
Approved Supplements Will Be Accepted Until April 30 Auction
Keeneland Press Release
LEXINGTON, Ky.— Keeneland has cataloged 80 horses for its April Selected Horses of Racing Age Sale, to be held Sunday, April 30. The sale, which will begin at 4 p.m. ET, will be livestreamed on Keeneland.com.
Keeneland will accept approved supplemental entries to the April Sale until the sale date.
Click here for the enhanced digital catalog on Keeneland.com. The catalog, also available through the Equineline Sales Catalog iPad app, includes pedigrees, Equibase past performances and race videos, Daily Racing Form past performances, and Ragozin and Thoro-Graph figures. Consignors may upload photographs and walking videos.
“The April Sale will take place at a key time, two days after Keeneland’s Spring Meet and at the start of Kentucky Derby week, when the energy and excitement for Thoroughbred racing are at a high,” Keeneland Vice President of Sales Tony Lacy said. “The auction will be an opportunity to buy or sell quality individuals after spring racing seasons as owners and trainers transition to summer racing.”
Because of the changeable nature of horses of racing age catalogs, consignments will be stabled and a barn order list produced and distributed around Monday, April 24, when the catalog – including supplements – is close to finalized.
A printed catalog will be available at Keeneland on Monday, April 17. A supplemental catalog also will be available prior to the sale.
Participating consignors in the April Sale are Claiborne Farm, ELiTE, Four Star Sales, Gainesway, Grovendale Sales, Highgate Sales, Hunter Valley Farm, Mill Ridge Sales, Taylor Made Sales Agency, Tom Amoss Racing Stable and Vinery Sales.
Among the horses cataloged in the sale are:
- Carmel Road, a 3-year-old winning colt by Quality Road who was second in the Los Alamitos Futurity (G2) to Practical Move, second on the list of leading point earners to the Kentucky Derby (G1) Presented by Woodford Reserve. Consigned by ELiTE, agent, Carmel Road is out of the stakes-winning Unbridled’s Song mare Inspired and a half-brother to stakes-placed Night Time Lady. He is from the family of Grade 1-placed National Treasure.
- Cazadero, a 5-year-old gelding by Street Sense who won the Nearctic Stakes (G2) and Bashford Manor Stakes (G3). Out of multiple graded stakes winner Wild Gams, Cazadero is a half-brother to Remsen Stakes (G2) winner Dubyuhnell. He is consigned by Hunter Valley Farm, agent.
- Doppelganger, a 4-year-old colt by Into Mischief who took the April 8 Carter Handicap (G1) Presented by NYRA Bets. He is unbeaten in three races this year. Consigned by ELiTE, agent, Doppelganger is out of the stakes-winning Quiet American mare Twice the Lady.
- Fort Warren, a 3-year-old winning son of Curlin who was third in the San Vicente Stakes (G2) in his second career start. Consigned by ELiTE, agent, he is out of stakes winner La Appasionata, by Bernardini, a full sister to Grade 2 winner and sire Wilburn. Fort Warren is from the family of champion Abel Tasman.
- Gilmore, a 3-year-old winning colt by Twirling Candy who was second in the April 8 Bay Shore Stakes (G3) and El Camino Real Derby (L) in February. Out of the Henny Hughes mare My Surfer Girl, he is consigned by ELiTE, agent.
- King Fury, a 5-year-old son of Curlin who won the Stonestreet Lexington Stakes (G3) and placed in the Hagyard Fayette Stakes (G2) and Ohio Derby (G3). Consigned by Gainesway, agent, he is out of Grade 1 winner Taris, by Flatter.
- Messier, a 4-year-old multiple Grade 3 winner and Grade 1-placed son of Empire Maker out of stakes winner Checkered Past, by Smart Strike. Consigned by ELiTE, agent, he is from the family of Canadian champions Catch the Ring and Catch the Thrill.
- Promise Me a Ride, a 3-year-old winning son of Mastery who won his career debut in March at Fair Grounds. ELiTE, agent, consigns the colt, who is from the family of leading sire Distorted Humor. His dam is stakes winner Promise Me More, by More Than Ready.
Graduates of the 2022 April Sale include 2023 John B. Connally Turf Cup Stakes (G3) winner Scarlet Fusion and Astra S. (L) winner Duvet Day (IRE) along with these 2022 stakes winners: Monrovia Stakes (G2) winner Brooke Marie, the aforementioned Nearctic Stakes (G2) winner Cazadero, Columbia S. (L) winner Heaven Street and Valedictory Stakes (G3) winner Wentru.
Preparing for the April Sale
Buyers who plan to attend the April Sale or participate remotely should register for an account and establish credit within the Keeneland Sales Portal. Keeneland recommends beginning this process as soon as possible due to the date of the sale.
Online and phone bidding available: Buyers may watch a real-time video view of the live sale and bid simultaneously from Keeneland’s online bidding platform accessible through their accounts in the Keeneland Sales Portal. Two options are available: a live, on-demand bid that occurs manually and a max bid, which allows the software to bid on your behalf up to a designated price.
Visit April.Keeneland.com for operations details related to the sale.
The Keeneland Sales team is available to answer any questions about bidding options and the April Sale. Please contact Director of Sales Accounting Brent Hacker at 859 288-4231 or email@example.com.