LEXINGTON, Ky.—Stonestreet Stables’ Twilight Gleaming (IRE), who closed her 2021 campaign with a victory in the Breeders’ Cup Juvenile Turf Sprint (G2) at Del Mar, heads a field of eight 3-year-olds entered Thursday for Sunday’s third running of the $200,000 Palisades (L) going 51⁄2 furlongs on the turf.
The Palisades will go as the seventh race on Sunday’s nine-race program with a 4:12 p.m. ET post time.
Trained by Wesley Ward, who won last year’s Palisades with Chasing Artie, Twilight Gleaming has won three of her four grass starts with the lone setback coming in the Queen Mary (G2) at Royal Ascot I England in June. Irad Ortiz Jr. has the mount and will break from post position seven.
Ward also will send out Gregory Kaufman’s Kaufymaker, who finished third, beaten a length by Twilight Gleaming in the Breeders’ Cup. Also making her 2022 debut, Kaufymaker will be ridden by John Velazquez and break from post five.
Twilight Gleaming and Kaufymaker are the two fillies in the Palisades field.
The field for the Palisades with riders and weights from the rail out, is:
1. Classicstateofmind (Jose Ortiz, 118 pounds)
2. Slipstream (Joel Rosario, 120)
3. Baytown Frosty (Javier Padron-Barcenas, 118)
4. Pure Panic (Adam Beschizza, 118)
5. Kaufymaker (Velazquez, 113)
6. Circle Back Jack (Rafael Mojica Jr., 118)
7. Twilight Gleaming (IRE) (Ortiz Jr., 118)
8. No Nay Franklin (IRE) (Florent Geroux, 118)
Keeneland Press Release
Photo: Twilight Gleaming breaks her maiden at handily by 7 ½ lengths under Irad Ortiz, Jr. at Belmont on May 9, 2021. (NYRA/Chelsea Durand)