Therapist winning the Grade II Pan American April 1 at Gulfstream Park. (Coglianese Photo)
Downs After Dark Returns Friday
Churchill Downs Press Release
LOUISVILLE, Ky. – Michael Dubb’s former $50,000 claim Therapist is the likely headliner for Saturday’s featured $225,000 Louisville Stakes (Grade III) at Churchill Downs.
Entries for the 1 ½-mile turf marathon will be drawn Wednesday. Here are the likely entrants, according to Churchill Downs Assistant Racing Secretary and Stakes Coordinator Dan Bork: Another Mystery (trainer Mickey Goldfine); Bay Street (Mike Maker); English Conqueror (Darwin Banach); Therapist (Maker) and Yamato (Maker).
Saturday’s card will have a first post of 12:45 p.m. ET.
The first Downs After Dark of the 2023 Spring Meet at Churchill Downs is Friday with a special first post of 6 p.m. (all times Eastern).
The theme for the night racing event is “Saddles and Sneakers” where guests are encouraged to flex their favorite pair of sneakers, engage with local artists and dance along with their favorite local DJs while gambling on 11 races.
Gates will open at 5 p.m. and tickets are available on www.churchilldowns.com.
Downs After Dark entertainment will be set up in the corridor between the VIP Gate and Clubhouse Gate. DJ Glittertitz is the featured act of the evening and will perform from 8:30-11:30 p.m. The party will start DJ Getzy from 5:15-8 p.m.
Guests can enjoy live local art exhibits around the racetrack and have their sneakers personalized by Claudia Mata.
Before guests venture to Churchill Downs, they are encouraged to visithttps://www.churchilldowns.com/visit/info/maps-and-directions because of facility changes due to construction on the new $200 million Paddock.
The other Downs After Dark of the Spring Meet will be hosted on Saturday, June 17.
Down The Stretch
There was a $7,007 carryover in the Super Hi-5 in Race 1 Sunday. First post was 12:45 p.m. The 20-cent Derby City 6 Jackpot was hit Saturday and returned $51,473. The pool will start over Sunday. …
Following early morning rain, Sunday’s two turf races were moved to the main track which was listed as “sloppy” to start the day. …
The Churchill Downs Racing Office was taking entries Sunday for Friday’s nine-race card. Jockeys Tyler Gaffalione, Florent Geroux and Luis Saez were not named on any entries because they will ride at Pimlico on Friday and Saturday.
New Entry Procedures For Remainder Of Spring Meet
Construction has resumed in the Paddock area at Churchill Downs and several areas of the facility are closed for the remainder of the year. Here are some things fans need to know prior to arriving at Churchill Downs:
- Guests are encouraged to park in the Yellow and Turquoise Lots. The Orange, White, Black and Green Lots also will be open.
- The White and Blue Lots will be reserved for Turf Club Members and ticket holders for the Finish Line Suites and Jockey Club Suites.
- Yellow Lot rows 1-4 will be reserved for Owners and Trainers.
- Guests can enter either the Clubhouse or VIP Gates each day of the 2023 Racing Season.
- The Paddock Gate will only be open Sunday for Mother’s Day.
- The Executive Gate will be used when groups are in the Starting Gate Suites, Homestretch Club or Jockey Club Suites (Thursday-Sunday only).
- The Clubhouse Box Office will open 60 minutes before gates each live race day and close at the second to last post.
- General Admission: Sections 111-114.
- Reserved Seating: Sections 115-117 and 312-319.
Food and Beverage Options
- Second Floor Clubhouse ITW
- Red Roses Bar on ground floor behind Section 115
- Twilight Thursdays: food trucks and beer sales will be available around the VIP and Clubhouse Corridor
Temporary Saddling Paddock:
- A temporary saddling paddock has been constructed adjacent to the new First Turn Grandstand. This paddock will be used starting Thursday.
Rideshare and Bus Operations:
- The rideshare location will move to the VIP Gate for pickup and drop-off.
- Bus parking will move to the Orange Lot
- Plaza Area (starting May 15)
- Paddock Grill and Red Roses Bar behind section 117
- President’s Hallway
- Champions Balcony, Turf Club Balcony and Directors Room Balcony (starting May 15)