Paco Lopez (Courtesy of Paco Lopez)
Welcome to another great episode of Past The Wire TV, Uncensored and Unfiltered with Paco Lopez.
Paco Lopez sits down for some one on one talk with Jonathan Stettin. They talk horse racing, stewards, race riding, even some bull riding and more. Get to know Paco like you never have only on Past The Wire TV. We think you will enjoy learning about how Paco rides, what a competitor he is, and how he started and what the race he wants to win is. Find out why Paco makes his home base Florida and the Jersey shore and the offers he has had to ride elsewhere. The famous Paco look over the shoulder, what does it mean? We have all this and more. Get to know Paco!
If you enjoy this show and missed our show with Frankie Dettori you can catch that HERE
Check out the transcript on the right of the video and our time stamped summary in the comments. The summary may take a day or two to appear.
If you enjoyed the show hit the like button and leave us a comment with your thoughts. We appreciate it. Subscribe to never miss an episode. Thank you for watching Past The Wire TV.
Time Stamped Summary of show:
Summary of One on One with Paco Lopez
Paco Lopez is a professional jockey from Mexico who initially came to the United States to race quarter horses. He later switched to thoroughbred racing after a career setback and economic downturn in the quarter horse industry. He is known for his fearlessness and for having a background in riding bulls in Mexico. The interviewer mentions that riding bulls requires a certain level of craziness and that this experience may have helped Lopez in his horse racing career. He speaks about how he started riding horses in Mexico and how he had to learn English after moving to the United States. He also mentions a friend who introduced him to thoroughbred racing and how he found success in the industry.
- 00:00:00 Paco Lopez is a Mexican rodeo rider who switched to thoroughbreds in order to try and make more money. He enjoyed bull riding in Mexico but found that the sport was not as popular in the United States. He started riding at Calder, and one day met a horse that he wanted to try. He was fearless enough to take on the horse and has since been riding bulls in the United States. Lopez is known for being fearless and fearless in the saddle, which has helped him win many competitions.
- 00:05:00 Paco Lopez discusses his experience riding bulls, his success at the highest level of thoroughbred racing, and his focus on the Kentucky Derby.
- 00:10:00 Paco Lopez is a successful horse racer who has won many races over the years. Some fans and bettors complain about how inconsistent the stewards are, especially when it comes to taking horses down. Lopez himself says that he makes it easy on his horses, and that he is comfortable riding at any circuit.
- 00:15:00 Paco Lopez discusses his approach to racing and how it can be different depending on where he is in the country. He also discusses his reputation as an aggressive rider, and how it can sometimes hinder his ability to win inquiries.
- 00:20:00 Paco Lopez discusses his experience riding horses, how they differ depending on whether they are racing on grass, dirt, or tapir, and why he believes one horse in particular was not suitable for the Breeder’s Cup.
- 00:25:00 Paco Lopez discusses his experience as a horse trainer, riding, and racing. He says that while it is difficult to know how fast to go with horses, it is easier to sense this than to count. He also discusses a story of how he bought a very fast car and how it was difficult to drive.
- 00:30:00 Paco Lopez discusses how he approaches race riding, how he stays fit, and how he selects horses.
- 00:35:00 In this video, Paco Lopez discusses his motivation for continuing to compete in horse racing. He also discusses how he manages to stay focused during races, despite having some bad days. Lopez also talks about his dream of winning a race at the Gulfstream Pegasus horse race.
- 00:40:00 Paco Lopez and Jon Stettin agree to meet soon to review some information about quarter-horses and so Jon can obtain a souvenir from Paco.