A jubilant Frankie Dettori after his win in the San Antonio aboard Country Grammer (Ernie Belmonte/Past The Wire)
Welcome to Past The Wire TV. As part of our year long series on Frankie Dettori’s Fanfare, we sit down for some one on one talk with the legend himself, the one and only Frankie Dettori.
Frankie’s Fanfare, Part 4, The Interview
Frankie sits down with our Jonathan Stettin to talk about his career and some of his experiences in and out of the saddle. Frankie’s passion for the sport he excels and has accomplished so much in always shines through, and he does not disappoint here. We don’t only talk horses Frankie rode, but we mix in a little Flightline and Frankel as well. The toughest race to win is ……….
As always we are Uncensored, Unfiltered, and we take you Past The Wire. Why now, what’s next, and pressure is for tires! We cover it all and Frankie is as Uncensored and Unfiltered as we are.
Thank you for watching one of our favorite episodes. If you enjoyed the show hit the like button or leave us a comment and let us know.
Each segment of Frankie Dettori’s Fanfare can be found below:
Frankie Dettori is a world-class jockey and ambassador to the sport of kings. He is currently in his final year of riding and plans to retire at the end of the year, citing his age (he will be 53 in December) and wanting to retire while he is still at the top of his game. He acknowledges that it was a difficult decision to make and that he will miss it greatly, but he wants to leave a legacy and finish his career at the top. He discusses his career, his plans for retirement, and his training regimen. He also shares a story about a race he would like to “have back.”
For your convenience, we provide you with a Summary with Clickable Links:
Click on the BLUE Time stamps to visit specific sections of the Video.
- 00:00:00 Frankie Dettori talks about his decision to retire from professional racing. He says it was difficult to make the decision, but that he is still physically and mentally capable of riding horses.
- 00:05:00 Frankie Dettori describes the difficulty of stepping back from success when still at the top of your game, and how he has learned to adapt to different countries and styles of riding. He credits his teachers along the way with helping him develop his own style.
- 00:10:00 Frankie Dettori shares one race he would like to “have back” – the Lester Piggott story, in which he lost to Pigott on the final turn. Dettori reflects on his career and the lessons he has learned, including the importance of staying cool under pressure.
- 00:15:00 Frankie Dettori discusses the importance of the Derby race, which is known for being one of the roughest in the world.
- 00:20:00 Frankie Dettori discusses his training regimen, his thoughts on the horse racing industry, and his plans for retirement. He also shares a question from the audience.
- 00:30:00 Frankie Dettori discusses his horsemanship techniques, and how it has helped him win many races.
Thank you for watching Past The Wire TV. We appreciate all of you. If you enjoyed the video hit the like button or leave us a comment and let us know. Subscribe and never miss an episode!