Hip No. 1018, a son of Quality Road consigned by Wavertree Stables, Inc., (Ciaran Dunne), Agent, went to Ben McElroy, Agent for Arman Shah, for $1,250,000 to top the fourth and final session of the Ocala Breeders’ Sales Company’s 2020 Spring Sale of Two-Year-Olds in Training. The bay colt, who breezed a quarter in :20 3/5 at Friday’s Under Tack Session, is a half brother to graded stakes placed stakes winner Standard Deviation out of False Impression, by A.P. Indy.
- Hip No. 1312, Fortunate Son, a son of Speightster consigned by Tom McCrocklin, Agent, was purchased by OXO Equine LLC for $1,100,000. The chestnut colt, who breezed a quarter on Saturday in :20 4/5, is out of stakes placed Auspicious, by Indian Charlie, a half sister to graded stakes placed Flatter Than Me.
- Hip No. 1298, a son of California Chrome consigned by Wavertree Stables, Inc. (Ciaran Dunne), Agent, went to West Bloodstock for Repole Stable Inc/St. Elias Stable for $725,000. The gray or roan colt, who turned in an Under Tack quarter on Friday in :20 3/5, is out of Diva Style, by Unbridled’s Song, a half sister to classic contender Tiz the Law.
- Hip No. 1299, a daughter of Liam’s Map consigned by Cary Frommer LLC, Agent, who worked Friday’s fastest eighth in :9 4/5, was sold to Rigney Racing LLC for $700,000. The dark bay or brown filly is out of Ebony Moment, by Smart Strike, a daughter of graded stakes winner Ebony Breeze.
- Hip No. 953, a son of Not This Time consigned by Julie Davies LLC, Agent, was sold to Marc Tacher for $575,000. The chestnut colt, who breezed an eighth in :10 flat on Friday, is out of Delightful Melody, by Tapit, a daughter of graded stakes winner Bending Strings.
- Hip No. 982, a son of Shackleford consigned by Wavertree Stables, Inc. (Ciaran Dunne), Agent, went to Justin Casse, Agent, for $550,000. The chestnut colt, who sped a quarter in :20 3/5 on Friday, is a half brother to champion Monomoy Girl and current 3-year-old graded stakes winner Mr. Monomoy out of Drumette, by Henny Hughes.
- Hip No. 1175, a son of Kantharos who breezed an Under Tack eighth in :10 flat on Saturday, was sold to Frank Fletcher Racing Operations for $500,000. Consigned by de Meric Sales, Agent, the chestnut colt is out of Illicit Affair, by Midnight Lute, a daughter of champion Silverbulletday.
- Summer Wind Equine paid $500,000 for Hip No. 1310, a daughter of Malibu Moon whose quarter in :20 3/5 was co-fastest at the distance on Saturday. The bay filly, consigned by Eddie Woods, Agent, is out of stakes placed Iroquois Girl, by Indian Charlie, a half sister to graded stakes winner Salty Strike.
- Joseph Brocklebank, Agent, went to $475,000 for Hip No. 1060, a daughter of Empire Maker consigned by Halcyon Hammock Farm, Agent. The bay filly, who worked an eighth in :10 flat on Saturday, is out of Full Tap, by Tapit, a daughter of stakes winner Miss Challenge.
- Hip No. 1149, a son of Hard Spun consigned by Eisaman Equine, Agent, was purchased for $400,000 by Belladonna Racing II, LLC. The dark bay or brown filly, who turned in an Under Tack eighth on Saturday in :10 flat, is out of High Wire Act, by Medallist, a half sister to graded stakes placed stakes winner Not Abroad.
- Hip No. 1314, a son of Flatter also consigned by Tom McCrocklin, was sold for $400,000 to J. A. S. The bay colt, who turned in a quarter in :20 4/5 on Saturday, is a full brother to graded stakes winning OBS graduate Favorable Outcome out of stakes winner Shananies Song, by Eltish.
- Donato Lanni, Agent for Michael Lund Petersen, went to $375,000 for Hip No. 1226, a son of Twirling Candy consigned by Top Line Sales LLC, Agent. The dark bay or brown colt, who worked an eighth in :10 flat on Saturday, is a half brother to stakes winner Saythreehailmary’s out of Just Call Me Angel, by Devil’s Bag.
- Hip No. 1219, a daughter of Bernardini consigned by Niall Brennan Stables, Agent, went to Marette Farrell, Agent for Exline-Border Racing, for $325,000. The bay filly, who breezed an eighth in :10 1/5 on Saturday, is out of J. Quirk, by Unbridled’s Song, a half sister to stakes placed Srikinglybeautiful.
- Hip No. 976, a daughter of The Factor consigned by RiceHorse Stable (Brandon & Ali Rice), Agent, was sold to Willis Horton Racing LLC for $300,000. The gray or roan filly, who breezed an eighth in :10 1/5 on Friday, is a half sister to stakes placed Caught Dream’n out of graded stakes placed Dream, by Malibu Moon.
- Hip No. 1304, a son of Into Mischief consigned by Hartley / DeRenzo Thoroughbreds LLC, Agent, was sold to Jerry Durant for $300,000. The bay colt, who breezed an eighth on Saturday in :10 flat, is out of Fruhl’s Gold, by Crafty Prospector, from the family of Street Boss.
For the day, 161 horses brought a total of $18,514,500 compared with 155 selling for a total of $16,728,000 last year. The average price was $114,997, up 6.5% compared to $107,923 in 2019, while the median price was $50,000, identical to last year’s figure. The buyback percentage was 15.7%; it was 22.5% in 2019.
For the entire sale, 635 horses sold for a total of $58,905,000 compared with 674 horses bringing a sale record $72,945,000 in 2019. The average price was $92,764, compared with 2019’s sale record $108,227. The median was $50,000 compared with last year’s record $60,000. The buyback percentage was 18.4%; it was 19.8% a year ago.
The overall sale topper was Hip No. 1254, a daughter of Not This Time consigned by Top Line Sales LLC, Agent, sold to Gary Young for $1,350,000 to top the sale’s second session. The bay filly, whose quarter in :20 1/5 was the sale’s fastest at the distance, is out of graded stakes winner Sheza Smoke Show, by Wilko, a daughter of stakes winner Avery Hall.
Next on the OBS agenda is the July Sale of Two-Year-Olds and Horses of Racing Age, rescheduled from its June dates and now set for July 14 -16. The Under Tack Show is scheduled for July 6 -11.
Current information about OBS sales, consignors and graduates is now also available via social media sites Facebook and Twitter. A link on the homepage directs users to either site.
Sales results are available on the OBS website, updated frequently during each session of the Spring Sale. In addition, the latest news regarding OBS graduates, sales schedules, nominations, credit requests, travel information and other news relevant to OBS consignors and customers is also available. E-mail should be addressed to email@example.com.
For more information regarding the Spring Sale or OBS website, please call (352) 237-2154.
Press Release/ Photo Credit: Judit Seipert