Prat Primed To Secure Success at Santa Anita

May 15, 2020

Flavien Prat is looking forward to continuing his winning ways as Santa Anita resumes its Winter/Spring Meet.

The reigning Kentucky Derby winner led all jockeys with 45 victories before the Coronavirus forced a halt to proceedings following March 22.

“He’s very happy that he can continue on with his career,” agent Derek Lawson said of the 27-year-old Frenchman, who was promoted to first place in the 2019 Run for the Roses following the controversial disqualification of Maximum Security, who crossed the wire in front.

“Racing is for everyone,” Lawson continued, “all the riders, the trainers, the owners. They can now return to a semblance of normal life with the horses back running and competing.”

Among those Team Prat has on its calendar this meet is marathon turf stalwart United, pointing to the Grade II, $200,000 Charles Whittingham Stakes at a mile and a quarter on grass May 23.

A gelded son of Giant’s Causeway trained by Richard Mandella for LNJ Foxwoods, United was second by three quarters of a length in the 2019 Whittingham and second by a head at 51-1 to Horse of the Year Bricks and Mortar in last year’s Breeders’ Cup Turf.

United captured the Grade II San Marcos Stakes at Santa Anita on Feb. 1 before an unfulfilled trip to Dubai on World Cup day March 28 when the entire program was cancelled due to the Coronavirus.

United was scheduled to run in the $6 million Dubai Sheema Classic at 1 ½ miles on the grass.

Santa Anita Press Release

"Nice work and well said Jon."

Ryan McCarthy @RMcCarthy1 View testimonials

Facebook