Jockey Pablo Morales joins Jim Gazzale on Past the Wire TV to talk Tampa Bay Downs, Pablo’s longevity in the sport, and how he approaches each day at the track.
The pair dive into the Tampa Bay surface. Is it as deep and tiring as it seems? Pablo also shares the inside scoop on where the track tends to favor the horses.
Summary of One-on-One with Pablo Morales
Pablo Morales discusses his career as a jockey, noting that while he had confidence in his early years as a rider, it was not comparable to what he feels now as a regular rider. Morales discusses the importance of staying on track and staying aware of track conditions, saying that one can use what they know about the track to their advantage. The jockey also talks about his most memorable races, including a 750,000 dollar win in Louisiana.
- 00:00:00 Pablo Morales discusses his career as a jockey and racer, noting that while he had confidence in his early years as a rider, it was not comparable to what he feels now as a regular rider. He notes that it took time for him to get comfortable and for his confidence to grow.
- 00:05:00 The video features Pablo Morales discussing his career and how winning races at Tampa Bay Downs has helped him maintain his status as a top jockey. Morales also discusses the importance of staying on track and staying aware of track conditions.
- 00:10:00 The jockey discusses how one can use what they know about the track to their advantage and how it can be different every time. He also talks about his most memorable races. One of these was when he won a 750,000-dollar race in Louisiana.
- 00:15:00 Pablo Morales discusses the importance of stretching and warming up before races, how having a naturally athletic physique helps, and how riding communities have been faced with tough situations in recent years.
- 00:20:00 The author discusses the dangers of horse racing and the rarity of accidents. He also discusses the use of technology in horse racing, saying that while it is cool to watch, riders are not actually flying around the track at 40 miles per hour.
- 00:25:00 Pablo Morales discusses his career and riding style. He says that one of his assets is that he is a good finisher, and that he is also very patient. He says that one of his goals for the remainder of the season is to finish in the top ten at the Tampa meet.