Mike Maker (Coady Photography)
Mike Maker plays it close to the vest. On this episode of Past The Wire TV, Mike sits down with Jonathan Stettin to talk about Maker’s unique and diversified career. Mike is a consistent leader nationwide in wins and money won and has the uncanny ability to turn claimers into stakes horses. He also changes things up distance and surface wise as good and as much as anyone.
Jon picks Mike’s brain a bit on how he goes about these accomplishments and the two also talk about some of the upcoming runners Mike Maker has on the big Saturday Pegasus card at Gulfstream.
What does Mike Maker look for in a claim? Does he use anything he learned from the Coach, D. Wayne Lukas? All this and more, Uncensored, Unfiltered!
Thank you for watching Past The Wire TV. We appreciate you all. If you enjoyed this episode hit the like button or leave us a comment and let us know. Subscribe and never miss an episode. For a really fun interview, albeit a quick one, check out Jon and Mike Repole at the Breeders’ Cup getting ready to watch Nest breeze.
Time Stamped Summary of the show:
Summary of One on One with Mike Maker
Mike Maker is a successful horse trainer who has a lot of experience in the industry. In the video, he discusses some of the unique aspects of his training style and how he is able to spot potential winners. He also offers some advice to people who are looking to get into horse racing.
- 00:00:00 Michael Maker is a successful trainer who worked with Wayne Lucas for many years. He discusses the tough but rewarding experience of working with Lucas, and how he has developed a knack for spotting horses that will be successful in racing.
- 00:05:00 Mike Maker discusses how he approaches horse racing, looking for horses that are bred to run in longer grass races or those that have had the opportunity to do so. He also talks about his concerns with the herpes outbreak at Gulfstream and how it may impact the horses.
- 00:10:00 Mike Maker is a successful horse trainer who consistently wins races and earns money. He is known for his ability to spot horses that are not performing to their potential and getting them to improve. He is comfortable training horses into big races off of a layoff but has had success with horses running on a synthetic track as well.
- 00:15:00 Mike Maker discusses the difficulty of managing so many horses and how his staff helps him keep track of them all. He also speaks about his long-standing relationships with various staff members and how they help him run his business efficiently.
- 00:20:00 Mike Maker is a trainer who has a very unique training style. He is concerned with the well-being of his horses, whether they are in high stakes races or lower-level stakes races. He believes that it is important to take advantage of all the opportunities that exist in the horse racing world.
- 00:25:00 Mike Maker discusses Summer Assault, a recent horse claim he made. Maker says the horse is “just an old classy veteran” and falls into the “category” of horses that are “very cool.” Jon mentions that people have a “bunch of horses running” this Saturday and offers his best wishes to Maker.