The draw for the 2020 renewal of the Belmont Stakes is complete. We have a one turn affair at a mile and an eighth. Tiz the Law looks to be a deserving favorite who will likely go off shorter than his morning line of 6-5. 4-5 is probably closer to where he lands in the wagering. He is drawn perfectly for the one turn race and Manny Franco should be able to give him whatever type trip he thinks is best when the gate opens.
While at first looks he appears faster, and to date classier than his rivals, this is the time of year three-year olds can improve drastically. It would take significant improvement by any of Tiz the Law’s foes for them to beat him if he runs his race and all indicators are that he will.
Here is the field and morning line odds:
1. Tap It To Win, John Velasquez, 6-1
2. Sole Volante,Luca Panici, 9-2
3. Max Player, Joel Rosario, 15-1
4. Modernist, Junior Alvarado, 15-1
5. Farmington Road, Javier Castellano, 15-1
6. Fore Left, Jose Ortiz, 30-1
7. Jungle Runner, Reylu Gutierrez, 50-1
8. Tiz the Law, Manny Franco, 6-5
9. Dr Post, Irad Ortiz Jr., 5-1
10. Pneumatic, Ricardo Santana Jr. 8-1
The question bettors will face is do they stand with Tiz the Law or take a shot he falters or someone steps up to beat him. The question the sport faces is how to treat this years’s Belmont at an abbreviated distance and run out of the traditional sequence of the Triple Crown. That said, when the gate opens it is still the Belmont Stakes.