LOUISVILLE, Ky.—Robert LaPenta, trainer Ron Moquett and Head of Plains Partners’ Eclipse Award winner Whitmore looms large in a field of 13 for the 86th running of the $500,000 Churchill Downs presented by Ford (GI).
The seven-furlong main track test goes as the 10th race Saturday with a 4:31 p.m. post time.
Whitmore, winner of the Breeders’ Cup Sprint (GI) last fall at Keeneland to earn champion sprinter honors for 2020, will be making his third start in the Churchill Downs. He was fourth in 2018 and fifth in 2019 that marked his most recent start at Churchill Downs. Whitmore will exit post nine and be ridden by Ricardo Santana Jr.
Among the challengers to Whitmore is two-time Grade I winner Mind Control. Trained by Gregg Sacco, Mind Control returned from a 3 ½-month layoff with a runner-up finish in the Carter Handicap (GI) on April 3 to begin his 2021 campaign. Irad Ortiz Jr. has the mount and will leave post two.
The field for the Churchill Downs, with riders and weights from the rail out, is:
1. Phat Man (Javier Castellano, 118 pounds)
2. Mind Control (Irad Ortiz Jr., 118)
3. Basin (Jose Ortiz, 118)
4. Flagstaff (Luis Saez, 118)
5. Tap It to Win (John Velazquez, 118)
6. Attachment Rate (Joe Talamo, 118)
7. Shashashakemeup (Florent Geroux, 118)
8. Get the Prize (Miguel Mena, 118)
9. Whitmore (Ricardo Santana Jr., 123)
10. Bango (Marcelino Pedroza Jr., 118)
11. Hog Creek Hustle (Corey Lanerie, 118)
12. Endorsed (Joel Rosario, 118)
13. Lexitonian (Tyler Gaffalione, 118)
For info on our Kentucky Oaks and Kentucky Derby webinar / seminar, click HERE, you won’t want to miss this. Be prepared, be with us!
Churchill Downs Press Release